One of the things that my family loves is cereal. When we started shifting to a healthier lifestyle, we knew our evening snacks routine needed to change. No more sugary snacks in the evening, instead we ate cereal.
Cereal for breakfast…
Cereal for an evening snack…
Any time we wanted something sugary, we reached for the cereal.
Little did we know we were only exchanging one unhealthy treat for another.
In my family, we refer to processed, boxed cereal as “poison” cereal. The amount of preservatives, sugar, and extra chemicals are enough to put our bodies into a tailspin. I have challenged myself to try to replace our store-bought cereal, with a wholesome, protein and energy-packed alternative. The key has been to find something that tastes good, and my children will eat.
When we eat this homemade cereal for breakfast, we find we can eat about half a cup topped with whole milk and be full and focused until lunch. I also like to sprinkle a little on top of my homemade Greek yogurt for a little extra crunch.
1. Gather your materials and preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
2. Mix your dry ingredients.
3. Heat coconut oil, honey, molasses, and water in a bowl until it is liquefied.
4. Pour the mixture over the dried ingredients and mix. Then spread it on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. Then add the dried fruit and return it to the oven for 15 more minutes.
6. Remove from oven and let cool. Then store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Have you started your journey to more eat less processed food? What have you tried? Leave your comments below.